Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rendered Speechless

We've had a long week here in the Windley house. I got that cold/sore throat combo that has been going around which has meant that I haven't been able to see Seren since Sunday (although Lance assures me that she is doing wonderfully). Its KILLING me not to see her. I know that right now my staying away is the best thing for her since we can't even consider exposing her to something that might make her sick but for me personally its been awful! It just goes back, yet again, to what I have said since the beginning- as a parent when given the choice between you suffering and your child suffering you pick yourself every time. I just remind myself I should be thankful that I'm the one that came down with the cold instead of Seren.

One side effect of the cold has been that I completely lost my voice. Nothing. I could barely whisper. I have never completely lost my voice before. I always knew I was a chatterbox but didn't realize how much until I was rendered completely speechless. I found it very upsetting. Losing my voice really made my heart ache for Seren, who we have been told will never speak. Just not being able to speak was isolating so thinking that not only will she not be able to express her needs and wants but that she won't be able to see or possibly hear the people around her has really hit home this week. I know her brain operates differently than mine and I know we will do everything possible for her to communicate in her own way but I have really struggled this week with understanding what the world is like for her. Please pray that we can see God's plan for our baby girl. I know He has something in store for her that I can't possibly comprehend so we really need prayers to help us see and do what God intends.

Along those lines, we have been able to schedule our appointment at Duke for next Thursday. I'm not exactly sure what we will do at the appointment but they are closing the clinic for the afternoon so the doctors can see us. I'm quite pleased with our pediatrician for getting us into this program since I think it really will help us get a comprehensive plan in place for her care. I'm ready for her to start her therapies also. I had initially thought we should hold off on them when she was so weak physically but since she seems to be stabilized I want to start working as hard as possible on having her reach her full potential in whatever capacity that might be so hopefully once we go to Duke we will have some plans in place.

Several people have asked about my friend's baby. I am happy to report he was born last week and came through his heart surgery with flying colors. He had a great day yesterday and there is every hope that he will come out of this journey a healthy and happy little boy!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jennifer and Lance, Well...I just can't imagine you not talking, Jen! wow...is Lance doing ok? I'm sure he feels rather weird. We'll keep praying for wisdom and peace and you go through this next week with the dtrs at Duke and you decide and sort through the therapies and future for Seren. God does have a plan for Seren AND for you, Lance, and Grayson. Trust Him for what is happening. We love you and hold you up to God daily.
    Thank you also for letting us know about the safe surgery for the baby of your friend. We'll continue to pray for him as we remember. Thanks again for your frequent updates.

    ReplyDelete