Friday, April 24, 2009

Yesterday when we went to the NICU to visit Seren we could tell her condition had deteriorated. We were told that she had a few respiratory episodes and a chest x-ray showed that her heart is enlarged. Her Doctor's are concerned that this will likely have a significant impact on her life expectancy.

In light of Seren's worsening condition, we decided to have her baptized as soon as possible. We emailed Bill from our church last night and he was kind enough to come to the hospital this afternoon to baptize our little girl. Both sets of grandparents were able to attend and make the event a special family occasion. I can't describe how much it meant to us.

I was feeling sad all morning, but as we started to celebrate her baptism I realized that this is Seren's life and that we shouldn't have her live it surrounded by fear and sadness. As parents we don't know how long any of our children might be with us and a mother's job is to give her child the best life possible in the time given. That is what I will do for Seren. Today, in celebrating an important part of her childhood, I was happy. I felt joy for her. I hope she felt love and joy too (and I know I felt the love of six continuous hours of cuddling before and after!)

Seren has not yet been alive for two whole weeks and yet she has brought out the good in more people than I could have ever imagined. I know that people have taken the time to pray for her. We have been told that she is on prayer lists from Chicago to Scotland and beyond. She has received so much love and so many prayers that I know she is special.

We have a wonderful daughter. So today, I would like to ask a favor and request that you please join us in celebrating Seren. She is a child of God.

8 comments:

  1. Jennifer, what a joy to read about your special time with Seren and your desire to celebrate her life. Yes, children are a gift from God and a life that should be celebrated and loved. I cried tears of joy to know that you have had the peace of God surround you during this special time as you show your love to Seren and as you celebrate who she is. We are continuously praying for her and for all of you and will not stop. We are celebrating her with you and praise our Saviour for this creation.
    love, Terrie and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer amd Lance, My heart has ached for your family in these recent days. I will not say that I know what you are going through because I do not. What I do know is that no loving parent or grandparent could help but be deeply moved and touched by the feelings you have shared with us all in this place. I have never shared this with anyone to my knowledge, but when I was very sick with cancer, tubes, monitors, bedpans and all, I opened my eyes one afternoon to find your Dad quitely sitting by my bedside. I don't know how long he had been there while I slept. Nothing verbal mind you--he was just there. I have thoutht of it often, the vigil he kept by my bedside, and I still think of it as a supreme act of kindness. I recall this at this time because I want you to know that in our hearts our family is sitting now with your family remembering you, praying for you and you little ones. We love you all. Steve Futrell

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day! Cuddling, watching the water of baptism on your lovely daughter's face. I am sure Seren's soul laughed with joy for this day with her Mama and Papa. Somewhere withing her weakened body, she feels the love from her family surrounding her.
    She was blessed with wonderful parents and we were all blessed just knowing of her and the courage and faith of her parents.
    We will grieve another day. Today is joyous.
    Love to you all,
    Aunt Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seren has already touched my heart and my life. I have told my friends and family about her and we are all praying for her. She is a miracle. You are right, you should celebrate her life. She worked so hard to get here. Each day that she is with you is a gift. I can't imagine what you are going through but your strength is truly an inspiration. You were chosen to be Seren's parents because of that strength. She feels your love and I'm sure she is very happy. Congratulations on your baptism, Seren. Today is a wonderful day!! Sending love and prayers each day, Maureen and the Kohn family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer and Lance,
    Anna Roberts sent me your blog and I have been keeping up with Seren and your family. You have been in my constant thoughts and prayers. Jennifer, I met you one day at North Hills with Anna. We also had our son, Stephen at the NICU at Chapel Hill and I know Seren is getting the best care possible. We were there for four months because our son had many complications from his premature birth. Hearing your story has brought back many tender and heart wreching memories. I understand the trip to the NICU in Chapel Hill and feeling road rage trying to get back to your sweet baby. I understand how when you finally get there parking can be a nightmare. I understand walking into the NICU every morning and looking at the doctors and nurses faces for a clue of what the day would bring. I understand cherishing every moment with your child not knowing how long they will be with us or what God's plan is and why. I understand the feeling in your heart when you try to be strong and positive for the next meeting with the doctors and what they will tell you. I know what it is like to leave your baby at the end of the day and waking up to call to check in at 3:00 a.m. I understand---and wish God's blessings on you all! Julie Flournoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seren and family,
    I am a friend of your grandparents, Rick and Jeanette, and I want you to know you are special to so many people. Your story is beautiful and your Mom's writings are an inspriation to many people. God has blessed you and your family with such powerful love and grace.
    Peace be with you,
    Carol B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer and Lance and family,
    Just wanted you to know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers and today, after reading your beautiful writing, I am saying a prayer in celebration of Seren's life. Your story touches me to the core, I got on your blog expecting to just catch up on Seren's condition and instead I find myself reading a story of love, support, kindness,faith and joy. I'm blown away by your strength and powerful love in the face of so many difficult challenges.
    We send our prayers each day,
    Jill and Gary Hanrahan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer -
    I'm praying for you, Lance, Grayson, and Seren. I've never been through anything like this so I don't have any words. BUT...I do know that Seren is in God's hands and nothing will touch her or you that He's not allowed. I pray that through this many people will be reached with the gospel. I'm praying complete healing in such a miraculous way there's not doubt it's from God.

    Jen (Ferris) Larson

    ReplyDelete