Friday, April 17, 2009

Transfer to UNC


Yesterday was a very exciting day for us because the Neonatologist at Rex was going to try to let us spend some time with Seren in my room! I looked forward to it all day since it was going to let us be a normal family without nurses and wires connected to the baby when we looked at her. However, at four o'clock he came in with some bad news. Seren had a seizure lasting about one minute which added to the concerns about her health. Although we had previously thought her neurological function was normal, the seizure made him decide to do an ultrasound on her head. The preliminary results of the ultrasound showed some fluid around her cerebellum and an enlarged artery in her brain. We were worried about the seizures so since eight beds had to clear before we could get into Duke we decided to check and see if UNC had room for her. They were able to take her immediately.

Lance and I were able to go to the NICU and hold Seren for about an hour and a half before the transfer even though the nursery was technically closed. We really appreciated the nurses letting us have that time. The transfer team arrived and it was a little disconcerting to watch them do their evaluation before they left but we did feel she was in great hands, They loaded her in an isoloete attached to a stretcher (called Tar Heel One!) and took her to Chapel Hill. I left the hospital last night and we are going over there this afternoon to check in on her. My understanding is that the nurses can tell us each morning what tests are scheduled for the day and the Doctors will call us with results. Today she is scheduled for an MRI and then a 24 hour EEG to monitor her brain activity related to the seizures. The EEG is a 24 hour test so once she starts that test that will be all she does for 24 hours.

She is generally comfortable and sleeps well. They keep her warm and cozy in the NICU so I know she is looked after. I wish she was here with us, her family, but I know she is in the best hands possible right now.

1 comment:

  1. Lance and Jennifer, Seren is so beautiful and it breaks my heart that she is facing such difficulties. John and I know firsthand what a nightmare these past two weeks have been for you and your families. I look back now at the week that Kelly was in the hospital and I wonder how we made it through but it all comes down to faith and support from family and friends. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers and I will keep up to date on this website. I know how hard it is to talk on the phone. It's so hard to get the words out with all the emotion. Please call anytime you are able. Love, Susan, John, Alison &Drew 803-234-7184 swalsh9@sc.rr.com

    ReplyDelete