Sunday, April 19, 2009

Neurologists take Sundays off too

Today Lance and I went over to UNC expecting to receive an update on Seren's MRI from the head neonatologist. However, we were told that the MRI results were not a simple finding and we need to come back tommorow to meet with the Neurologist who can explain everything they found in more detail.

We were able to get updates on some of the other tests that have been performed since she arrived at UNC. The ultrasound of her sacral dimple did show a tethered cord which will need to be watched and may require surgery. I'm a little confused on the status of her kidneys but I think that the general message is that they are working pretty well. A VCUG test will be done in the next week to make sure they are formed properly. There is also some confusion over her hearing screening so that will be repeated in the next day or so as well.

Seren is still acting very sleepy during feedings and taking less and less via bottle so I am guessing we will be told a plan of action on her feedings going foward. Seren's temperature had been holding so for a short while she was in clothes and not under the heat lamp. She took a step back though so today it was back to the warmer. Maybe tommorow will show some improvement on that front. It was a pretty discouraging day as far as diagnosis/prognosis goes so I'm hoping that we will be prepared for the discussion with the Neurologist tommorow.

Again, thanks to everyone for their encouraging words and prayers, phone calls, emails, food and generally looking after us. I lack adequate words to tell you how much it means to us. You are gifts from God. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you couldn't get the MRI results. More waiting, I know we are used to that from our pregnancies but that doesn't make it any easier. I will pray that you get some good news soon. I know you said you had a discouraging day but try to keep your hopes high. God is watching over Seren. I am praying for a miracle and you know Seren is already a miracle. She is a fighter!! Stay strong, you have my support, prayers and anything else that you need. Much love, Maureen

    ReplyDelete