Monday, May 11, 2009

Four Whole Weeks?

I can't believe that its been four weeks since Seren was born-since life as we know it stopped and yet somehow flew by simultaneously. Since Seren can't be here in our home my daily life is generally the same. I get up with Grayson and go through our day. Physically, I feel just like I did last year this time. Its a routine that is entirely wrong. I should be tired from getting up every two hours with a baby. I should be trying to work out caring for both Grayson and Seren at the same time. I should be exhausted in that way that only a truly grateful mother can be-realizing that despite the fact its difficult, exhaustion for caring for your babies is the greatest blessing on earth. Instead, the only place that there's a huge difference is in my heart. I mourn for what Seren has been denied and what she will never experience. I mourn any pain she experiences from living. I wish I didn't know how far people can go to help a friend. I wish that I didn't know there were people that dedicated their lives to finding a way to reach incredibly disabled children in even the smallest of ways. I wish people hadn't touched my own life in such a way that I will never underestimate human goodness again.

I carry emails reminding me that I will see Seren whole one day. That she, just like every loved child whose parents did not get the gift of time, will enter the kingdom of heaven where I can see her-whole and happy. Some days that promise is enough. For now I get to hold her and see her and love her and that is something for me. For her-I hope she knows or feels something. I hope she realizes that she is loved by her parents and her brother and her extended family and friends.

Since Seren has left the hospital she has greatly improved physically. Her heart failure seems to be leveling out. Her coloring is no longer pale but pink and rosy. She has not had nearly as many seizures. She has defied medicine in many ways and I can't be convinced her change is not due to her loving environment. All I can give her now is the best on this earth for her. That gift is really all any parent can give to any child I guess. Seren may be here only a short time or for a very long while. On any given day the only thing I know about Seren is that I love her so much that my heart is broken into a million different pieces. I'm glad she was given to me. I'm glad she's near me. I'm glad I can hold her and smell her and feel her. I'm glad I am her mother. I'm glad I had Mother's Day.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I love the picture of Seren and tears stream down my face as I have read your most beautiful words today. Your transparency and openness are a blessing to me and I know Seren senses your love for her in some way. In heaven one day she will be complete and whole. I praise God for the peace and care that He has provided for you and Lance also. The love of a mother/father to a child is truly the BEST gift we can ever give and you are doing that. Rest in HIM and we're still praying for Seren and for all of your family. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, God has truly given you a great gift by allowing you to have Seren as your daughter. I really do believe Seren does know that you love her so much! Yes, one day Seren will be whole and happy. I am amazed at the grace God has given you through all this. You have been and will continue to be an inspiration to us all. Love, Rita & Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I agree that Seren is a gift. Know that you are a gift to her as well. You are such a wonderful Mother. I know she feels your strength and love each day. I cried when I read your new post. I can't imagine the mix of emotions that swirl within you every minute of every day. Still, you find a way to see the positive and for that you are an inspiration. Continue to find your strength in God. He is all powerful and has given you Seren for a very special reason. She is a miracle. Sending you my love and prayers, as always, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I love seeing the pictures of your beautiful girl! You are an AMAZING mother. I too am inspired by you. . by your strength and love. The life she has is the only one she knows and I'm absolutely confident that she feels your tremendous love for her!!! Seren is lucky to have you as her mom. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete